Thursday, October 16, 2008

I don't claim to be a feminist, I promise.

But I am certainly empowered and thrilled to read a book by a woman, for the voice of a woman ( and might I say some of the best and most interesting writing I have read so far!)

"Peace had been declared and yet the war was far from over." -What a beautiful statement and how completely accurate it was to depict such a time. I do not know much yet about it, but from what I do know, this seems completely accurate.


I am so glad that woman finally get a voice, and men get to take the back seat in history for once. Sit down men, it's time to listen.

Althought ironically, the first empowered woman has been robbed of her worthiness even through birth! Poor Asana, isn't it a man to take your name away from you? Ha. In oh-so-many ways.

I find it very interesting that Asana had a name before she had "even seen the light of this world." I think that's extremely neat. What a great custom. And I can't believe her mother worked on her house while she was basically in labor, what a strong person.

Oh yeah, men have to hunt and build houses, well we can birth YOUR children and fix YOUR mistakes, all at the same time. Jealous that we're so strong?

=]

I can see the difference of the times, as Asana was a twin, and yet, neither were killed. So I can tell that these people have seen the destruction of colonialization.

Although I am a bit disgusted that Hawa's mother ate somebodys unborn children. This culture is so very different from mine. I do feel bad for the woman who was so ashamed by her own illness and even her husband didn't want to see her.


Although, the book isn't a complete fist in there air, completely empowering piece, we're still talking about 6 wives to one man. Gross. Although, the one woman in the beginning of the story did leave the grandfather and go on her own. And one of the aunts did divorce. But still 6 wives?

So far I am truly enjoying the story.

2 comments:

Linz Adams said...

I was thinking the same way when Asana's name was taken away from her by her twin brother.

Allen Webb said...

Nice to discover a feminist!

Hey, I think there were more than six wives -- maybe there were eleven!