Thursday, November 6, 2008

So you call us bias, but you do not know what we go through

Sometimes it feels good to open a book and be able to relate to a character in the majorest/minorest level.

I felt close to Lomba, because I too am a journalist and a writer.

I remember when I told my family that I was going to be a journalist and my family just kept fearing for my life saying "Don't go to Iraq!"

And I understood the immediate dangers that lie under the field of some of the most hated people in society.

Reading this book, I see the potential and the power that someone within the business can create, and the consequence one can face when trying to do what they believe is right.

I hope this leaves a reminder to those who call the media biased. Yeah, it is, and that is why I became a journalist, to combine my two passions: writing.. and being nosey.

There are people like Lomba who are suffering in prison, locked away in solitude, beaten down for owning even a pencil and paper, sleeping on lice-ridden cots, eating food that only animals would call cuisine.

Not able to know what day it is, and the days become irrelevant because freedom becomes just a whisper,anger welling up inside as you take beating after beating..... only because you were covering event.


That's why I became a journalist, because instead of staring at the TV saying, "thats bias" or "they're not telling us everything." I got up and decided to change it. Someday I hope to do news justice and uncover stories to the world that has become blind to such corruption.


Maybe I could be a Lomba?

Who knows.

2 comments:

Katthoms said...

Although I liked Lomba and what he stood for as well.. I hope for your mothers and fathers sake that you do not end up in a horrible prison cell because of an unfair government. good insight!

Peter Larr said...

Ash, if you get imprisoned I will get Bruce Springsteen to do a concert to raise awareness to your plight.