Thursday, September 11, 2008

Eye opening

This picture struck me very well. As someone who truly enjoys photography, the black and white photo not only depicts a true art in its form but really represents this era as the story stands. Although I know the gap between us and Africa keeps us quite ahead, I know this story was placed long ago because it describes the "Coming of the white man" so this sets a general time in history for me.

Photobucket Image Hosting

I can sense the background the sets a story that I became so wrapped in and involved in. The village that I see here completely that just separates my life. IT sets me aside to see a place where others life their lives looking at it as normal and I'm wondering "NO ELECTRICITY?"

IT really opens my eyes.

And the little boy (who is very quite skinny) is sitting by himself and I see the youth that represents this boy and I wonder all the things that he lacked that I had and all the opportunities set before me now that he'll never get to experience.

I wonder what his education will be like and where his worries set next to mine.

I'm worrying about getting a job out of college and social security and health care.

I'm sure he'll never see a hospital... he'll find no need for social security, and may have to work all his life.... I wonder if he even knows college exists, or 13 year education.


It makes me really set beside myself, and as I keep feeling like I'm getting screwed by someone, I understand that there are people who don't have a quarter as much as I do.

Maybe for a day, I'll complain less.......

1 comment:

Allen Webb said...

This is an interesting picture to study. In the archive there were very few village pictures, so I didn't have a lot of choices for the village center. To me this picture seems to capture a much smaller village than Umuofia.

The kind of education and medical care that you experience were not only not present in Africa at the time of the novel, they were not present in America or Europe, at least not for the vast majority...