Thursday, September 25, 2008

In their shoes

Whenever I read a story all I can do is try to put myself in the shoes of those people, especially in the face of tragedy. And my feelings just left me distraught as I tried to put myself in the shoes of the victims of the Congo. I don't know how I could choose life or death?

How could I choose my life as I'm forced under the chicotte to put my neighbor, my best friend or even my family member to death? How would be able to watch my father, who is my best friend be beaten in front of my face and be able to walk away?
Could I choose life, or would I just step away and denounce everything to end it all?

Could I be able to fight even if I only got one step forward in the fight for freedom, or would I stay still under the gun?

If I had a choice to play a role, I'd take on George Washington Williams and write for the victims, help to fight. I know my role as a woman would not put me in a great place but maybe I could write under an alias of a man and travel the African Congo and try to alert the world of brutality that face children being killed, the hands of victims being cut off, men worked near death and woman treated as sexual slaves.

AS victims are forced to work as military, and people are treated as disposables, I would what role I would play as the victim, or if at all....
... living in that time, would I know it was even going on at all???

2 comments:

Katthoms said...

I admire you for being able to put yourself in the shoes of the characters. I can't even stretch my imagination to comprehend what was happening to them. It definetly puts things into a new perspective when you do though.

Peter Larr said...

Ash, you're a bigger person than me because if I were being forced by the Europeans I would go along with it.